Starwood Preferred Guest Announces its 2012 Member Favorites List
SPG Awards Top Resorts in Nine Categories to be Featured on Resorts Website and SPG's New Pinterest Page
STAMFORD, Conn., Jul 10, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) --Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) and its award-winning Starwood Preferred Guest(R) (SPG) program announced the winners of the 2012 Member Favorites List which can be seen on spg.com/resorts and SPG's new Pinterest page: pinterest.com/SPGLife. Selected by members, SPG's second annual survey identifies over seventy of the top Starwood resorts across nine categories. Twenty six made the list for the first time including new resorts such as The Westin Resort & Spa in Playa Conchal, Costa Rica and The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.
SPG's well traveled members were invited to identify their favorite resorts, the top twelve of which were listed across the following nine categories: Best Beach Resort, Most Romantic Retreat, Best Exotic Escape, Best Family Experience, Best Golf Getaway, Best Island Paradise, Best Spa Indulgence, Best Winter Adventure and Best Small Wonder.
Among the most popular resorts selected by members for 2012 are:
- W Retreat & Spa in the Maldives, which appears in six categories-more than any other Starwood resort
- The St. Regis Princeville Resort in Kauai which was ranked in five categories overall
- The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort and The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali both received votes for four categories each
- Other top voted resorts were The Westin Denarau Island in Fiji, the Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort and Spa and St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point, CA - all being recognized in three categories each
- The St. Regis Aspen in Colorado was recognized by members as a Best Spa Indulgence and Best Winter Adventure resort coming on the heels of a $40 million renovation
"The 2012 SPG Member Favorites List represents more luxury in more destinations this year than ever before," said Chris Holdren, Senior Vice President of Starwood Preferred Guest. "These hotels and resorts selected by our members are deeply honored to be recognized with this distinction."
To celebrate the launch of the Member Favorites List, SPG has established its presence on Pinterest, with its first boards featuring each of the nine resort categories. Travel aficionados can look to the page for photos of their favorite Starwood hotels and resorts for travel inspiration from around the world and re-pin to share with their followers. The page will allow "Pinners" to engage with SPG and share ideas and tips with other travelers.
As Starwood's global presence increases, so does members' recognition of those global resorts:
- Twenty five percent of the overall resort favorites were in Asia Pacific, with The Westin Sohna in India becoming the first Indian resort to make the list
- Recently opened global resorts which were included in the impressive round-up include:
- The Sheraton Guangzhou Huadu Resort in China
- Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa, a Luxury Collection Resort, Chile
- The St. Regis Lhasa Resort, Tibet
- The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi
About Starwood Preferred Guest
The SPG program's breakthrough policy of No Blackout Dates at the world's most sought after collection of hotels reinvented the hospitality loyalty program when it launched in 1999. By creating a program centered on its members, SPG has developed the most passionate and knowledgeable membership base in the hotel loyalty space. Through its use of new technologies and innovative channels such as SPG.com, SPG.com/stayconnected, SPG.com/flights and others, SPG continues to innovate and lead the industry. By offering No Blackouts on standard rooms at more than 1,000 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries, No Blackouts on hundreds of airlines, the introduction of Your24 and SPG Lifetime, and unparalleled experiences available through SPG Moments at spg.com/moments, the program has proven to be a big draw for the world's most frequent travelers, and a significant competitive advantage for Starwood. For more information about Starwood Preferred Guest please visit SPG.com.
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1,103 properties in nearly 100 countries and 154,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R), W(R), Westin(R), Le Meridien(R), Sheraton(R), Four Points(R) by Sheraton, Aloft(R), and ElementSM. The Company boasts one of the industry's leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.
SOURCE: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Erin Ryder, 212-373-0120